Thursday, January 6, 2011

Conversations with an almost 3-year-old

I want to blog about Christmas...but I will do that another time.  I just want to get this down before I forget.

Yesterday I took Sarah out for some one-on-one Mommy time.  (we had a particularly difficult day Tuesday)  She loves "bumps," whether she is in a stroller or in a car.  So I told her we would go in the truck and ride on some bumps in the desert by our house.  This served two purposes: [1] I wanted to give her 100% of my attention and [2] I wanted to practice with some of my new equipment.
We drove around a little bit, then we got out.

She is saying "MONEY"

 The flash didn't fire on this one, but I still like it.


"BOO!"

Some of our conversation:
Me - Sarah hurry!  The sun is going to go down...I want pictures before the sun goes down!
Stand over here...look this way, etc.  etc.
A few minutes later...
 Sarah - Mommy, go get that!!
Me - Go get what?
Sarah - That over there (pointing to the sun)  Huwwy (hurry)!  It's leaving!!
Me - Oh sweetie.  We can't stop the sun from setting...the sun is going night-night.
Sarah - No night-night!  I get it!
Ugh!  Can't reach it Mommy.
Sarah - I don't want the sun to go night-night!


[later]
As part of our "Mommy-time" I told Sarah we would go for ice cream.
When we got back in the truck this is part of our conversation.
Sarah - Yay!  I get ice cweam now! (repeated like 10 times)
Me - Yes!  That will be so fun!  Mommy just needs to go home to get money, then we'll have some dinner (I tried to sneak that in), then we'll get some ice cream.  YAY!
Sarah - No!  No dinner Mommy.  That's not happening.  I need my ice cweam NOW.
I turn my head the other way so she doesn't see me laughing.

Oh boy.  I'm totally in trouble.  She picks up on so many words...even when we think she's not paying attention.  We love Cat In The Hat around our house.  When John and I talk about the girls to each other, we sometimes say Thing 1 and Thing 2 (joking of course).  The other day John called to me from the shower, "Don't forget about Thing 2 downstairs."  Jane was sleeping in her swing.  Sarah ran up to me and raised her hand, "Mommy!  I'm Thing 1!!  I'm Thing 1!!"
All I could do was smile.

Sometimes she randomly puts her arms up and says, "Save me Mommy!! I'm sinking!!"
Sarah also has this fascination with Cookie Monster.  She is really afraid of him.  She pretends all the time that he is around and then tells me to keep her safe.

There have been times that I've threatened to spank her.  (Who me?  Never!!)  She will tell me very calmly, "No Mommy, that's MY bum."

Oh boy.  Smarty Pants.

2 comments:

lauren said...

these girlies are to smart for their own good! and seriously crack ups! she looks 100%just like you its crazy!

Our Little Family said...

She is the smartest girl ever! I love those responses especially how she knew she was thing 1!! hilarious!! oh, isn't being a mommy the best thing in the whole world!