GOODBYE "GREY'S"

OK...so I have a confession. I have been addicted to Grey's Anatomy. No, not the book...the extremely soap opera-ish, morally twisted show. I know!! Almost all of the scenarios medically and otherwise are completely over dramatized and unlikely...but I was hooked. I say WAS because I just watched my DVR'd episode from last week and decided THAT'S ENOUGH!! All the sleeping around with the best friend's ex-boyfriend's neighbor turned lesbian... This chickee has canceled her DVR subscription and has sworn to not watch anymore. Not that I am judging if anyone else watches it, but as for me, no thanks. I felt especially guilty watching this last episode after feeling so uplifted from General Conference. I have been trying to return to my notes often so I am reminded of the Spirit I felt...completely opposite from how I felt finishing that LAST episode. One of my favorite "one-liners" from conference (and there were SO many good ones!) was from Elaine S. Dalton who questioned us about being "...consumers of vice rather than guardians of virtue."
This brings me to my next soap box. Proposition 8 in California. My sister's family will be directly affected by this. Perhaps it will cause a domino effect across all states. Don't get me wrong...every person in this world is a Child of God and deserves respect regardless of sexual orientation. I believe marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman that is ordained by God. LDS people in California are being scrutinized for supporting this. LDS Family services and other church-based adoption agencies could quite possibly dissolve. Gay and lesbian couples would legally have to be allowed to enroll, and that is against our belief system. It makes me crazy! As if it isn't hard enough on us couples to get a baby!! There could be fewer agencies??? (Don't even get me started on abortion and infanticide) Not to mention, LDS Family Services has parameters...you must be married for three years and be an endowed member. I am confused on how it could be discrimintaion when a homosexual couple would not endowed. AND I heard a rumor that the LDS chapels might have to take "Visitors Welcome" off their signs because gay and lesbian couples would be have to be allowed to get married in all public chapels...again going against our beliefs. Are the temples in jeapordy? I just want to know...WHEN will "the separation of church and state"actually work in our favor? No Bible talk anywhere that is public...no prayers in school (not even a moment of silence!!!)...
Again...I am reminded of General Conference. Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf is fabulous - I love him! With all the negativity and moral decay swirling around us, it is easy to be so upset...even my sister and I got into a "gloom and doom" conversation the other day. Pres. Uchtdorf tells us to, "overcome the temptation to lose hope." I am paraphrasing from my notes... but he also tells us that hope is trusting in the Lord, and to never allow despair to overcome our Spirits. Such sound advice!! No matter what happens, we all must have hope. I think I just came full circle?? I feel much better now!

5 comments:
Oh Marissa, AMEN!! I feel the same exact way about Grey's! I was just telling my friend that I am not going to watch it anymore. As for Prop 8, that, too I feel strongly about. It is very unnerving. I constantly strive to have hope and feel at peace.
Yes, yes, yes. The thought of the consequences makes my heart weep. (I guess like Mormon, OH YE FAIR ONES!!) I do have hope though. The Second Coming is, well, coming. :)
It is refreshing to read about someone standing up for their beliefs for a change! :) Great post, Marissa!
While I never got into the whole Grey's "thing" I think it is great that you are able to see where you want to make a change and do it! I must say that with all the things that have been going on in the world these days it is easy to get discouraged, for me I focus on the little things so that the rest doesn't become overwhelming! :) Love ya GREAT POST!!
Wow! Thanks so much for the education on that! I really had no idea what it was all about till now! I'm definitely going to go vote now!!
Post a Comment