Friday, February 8, 2008

Family Friday

OK...so I am a little late. At least it's still Friday!
This time I want to talk about my dad. He is totally the best dad! He is so intelligent he just blows us all away sometimes. He know everything about the gospel...it's real fun to go to Sunday School with him because he usually shows up the teacher (not on purpose, though). He is a very warm person and is my teddy bear. He gives hugs freely and he always knows when something is wrong.
As a girl, I have many wonderful memories with my dad. See - my dad was a very busy man, but he always made us his priority. In elementary school he would have flowers delivered to the front office for my sister and I for Valentine's Day...or just because. He would come and meet us for lunch - we felt so cool that our dad came all the way from work to meet us! Not to mention the fact that he always brought a bunch of candy for us to share with our friends. He was also the bishop of our ward. Mom says it was hardest on me of all the kids. I used to wait up until he got home so I could run to the bottom of the stairs and give him a hug goodnight.

When Dad dropped us off to school, just before we opened the car door, he would stop us and ask, "What's the most important thing to remember?" The first couple of times we didn't know the answer. Then he told us, "That your daddy loves you." He still asks me that question on several occasions and I just smile knowingly. I have always been able to talk openly with my dad - and I would feel comfortable calling him in the middle of the night. His non-judgemental approach to problems make him easy to talk to...and because of his spirituality, he always knows the right things to say.

Dad is known for many things. There is something called the "Dave wave." Any guest who comes to his home feels so special... as the guests leave, Dad stands on the sidewalk and waves with both hands until he can't see them anymore. It makes all of us smile. Dad is also known for his love of golfing, computers/technology, and BBQ skills. Even the grandkids ask for Grandpa's steak for their birthday dinner.

I love you Dad! Thank you for making me feel like I can do anything!

No comments: